Introduction to Hair Clippers
Hair clippers can be used for a multitude of things, from trimming the kids’ hair to trimming beards and even shaving completely bald if that is desired. There are many different models and styles with a variety of features that can be offered. We’ve reviewed the top rated hair clippers below so you can see what makes them customer favorites and why they are so good.
If you have a large family or have several boys that like to keep their hair shorter, you will benefit from having a good quality pair of hair clippers handy. They are not difficult to learn to use since the whole purpose of hair clippers is not to do intricate hair styles but to trim and neaten things up.
With an understanding of the different types of hair clippers and what they can offer, you will be able to sort through the different kinds available and make a good decision on hair clippers that will be the right ones for you and your family’s needs.
Top Ranked Hair Clippers
|Rank||Picture||Hair Clipper||Pieces in Kit||Blade||No. of Comb Guides||Comb Guide Range (inches)|
|1||Wahl 79524-3001 Barber Kit||30||High-Carbon Steel||13||1/8 – 1|
|2||Andis Promotor/Clipper/Trimmer Combo Kit||27||Stainless Steel||8||1/16 – 7/8|
|3||Conair 22 Piece Styling Kit||22||Stainless Steel||10||1/8 – 1|
|4||Wahl 8470-500 Professional Clipper||10||Stainless Steel||8||1/4 – 1|
|5||Wahl 79300-1001 Color Pro Clipper||26||High-Carbon Steel||11||1/16 – 1|
|6||Wahl All Star Combo Clipper||8||Stainless Steel||6||1/8 – 1|
|7||Andis Easy Cut 10-Piece Clipper Set||10||Stainless Steel||4||1/4 – 1|
|8||Conair 20-Piece Haircut Kit||20||Stainless Steel||10||1/8 – 1|
|9||Wahl 79450 ComboPro 14-Piece Kit||14||Stainless Steel||10||1/8 – 1|
|10||Classic 76 Oster 76076-010 Clipper||6||Stainless Steel||4||1/4 – 1|
Top Pick – Wahl 79524-3001 Home Barber 30 Piece Kit
Wahl is a well known name is trimmers and this Wahl Home Barber 30 piece kit is a great purchase for anyone who wants to take care of their family’s hair cutting needs at home.
There are actually three different products in this great all inclusive kit: the multi-cut clipper that cuts even thick hair with 35% more power than traditional motor clippers.
For taking care if the detailing around the ears and neck, the touch up trimmer is perfect and will give you a great, clean edge wherever you want it.
Last but not least there is the personal trimmer has two different detachable heads for personal trimming and maintenance. The first one is a rotating head that works great for nose and ear hairs. The second one is a reciprocating head that shapes the eyebrows perfectly without pulling. With the Wahl Home Barber 30 piece kit, you have everything you will need to get the exact looks your family wants.
Included in the kit is a multi-cut clipper, touch up trimmer that it cordless, and personal trimmer with two heads. You also get the cords for the trimmers, attachments for different lengths and other accessories as well. The high carbon steel blades stay sharp a long time so you don’t have to worry about it going dull quickly. Your family will look neat and clean cut and you won’t spend an arm and a leg making it happen on a regular basis with this great do it yourself kit by Wahl! The clipper carries a 5 year warranty and the trimmers have a 2 year warranty.
Andis Promotor and Clipper and Trimmer Combo Kit, Silver (29115)
You don’t have to be a professional to give a good hair cut with this 27 piece clipper and trimmer combo kit by Andis. You will have everything you need to give great haircuts easily and economically too.
The clipper is a professional quality clipper that cuts hair easily, even thick hair that is wet. The no slip housing has a soft grip that is easy to hold.
The lightweight clipper has a high quality stainless steel, adjustable blade that works to create layering and blending hair styles and neat, shorter crew cuts.
The trimmer is the perfect tool for finishing touches around the ears, on beards and sideburns and along the neckline. The T-blade is superfine, and provides super close cutting and shaving. The trimmer fits easily and comfortably in your hand so it is not cumbersome to use. Along with the trimmer and clipper you will get two types of combs and a very good How-To-DVD that can help make the hair cutting easier.
The powerful motors in both the clippers and the trimmer can cut wet or dry hair perfectly. The special pivot motor they contain lasts for years and requires virtually no maintenance. No need to oil it internally or adjust the power screw for changes in line voltage. Just plug it in and use it to keep your family’s hair neat and trim regularly.
Conair 22 Piece Cord/Cordless Rechargeable Haircut Kit
This Conair 22 pc haircutting kit gives you everything you need to give great your family hairstyles that they will feel great about. This kit has self sharpening blades that are durable and long lasting. The 5 position taper control and included blades give you 50 different cutting positions to choose from.
One of the great features of the Conair set is that it can be used with or without the power cord thanks to the rechargeable battery that you can use and be cord free for greater freedom of movement. When it needs to recharge it connects to the AC-DC adapter that charges the trimmer easily.
You won’t have to battle dull blades anymore with the durable steel blades the Conair 22 piece haircut kit has. They stay sharp for a long time and allow you to give precise haircuts you can be proud of claiming. The whole set is lightweight and travels well too with the hard storage case that houses everything.
On a full charge the hair clippers can be used for 60 minutes which is plenty of time to take care of the haircuts you need to do for your family. This kit includes the styling clip, barber comb, styling comb, barber scissors, barber cape, cleaning brush, lubricating oil, blade guard, adapter and hard storage case. You will be all set to give your family the haircuts they want and deserve.
Top Rated Hair Clipper Summary
When it comes to giving your family great haircuts, these top rated hair clippers will give you all the tools you need and more. Easy to use and a great value too, you will save money while you help your family look great. Hair clippers were used all the time in the 50s and 60s when getting professional haircuts wasn’t as prevalent as it is now. Women often gave the kids haircuts. Now, clippers have come a long way and you can go back to giving great haircuts and keeping your children looking neat and trim easily while you save time and money.
Now that you have learned about three great hair clippers that are top rated for many great reasons that you will enjoy as well. Below is a buyer’s guide that will give you even more information about hair clippers in general. With this information you will be able to choose the right hair clippers for your family.
Hair Clipper Buyers Guide
What is a Hair Clipper?
Hair clippers are meant to cut large amounts of hair and sometimes are used to shave the head completely. Many people can confuse hair clippers, trimmers and shavers. They have some similarities and some models of hair clippers double as other tools and can shave or trim as well. Hair clippers are designed to deal with the most amount of hair at one time. Trimmers are for the finishing work like around the ears, neckline, beards and mustaches as well. Shavers are just that and are meant to completely remove the hair.
Before you start researching and buying
There are several things to consider before you start shopping for the hair clippers you want to get. The factors below can help you reduce the amount of choices you have and will make deciding a lot easier.
- How much experience do you have? – If you are not new to using hair clippers you may want to invest in a little higher quality hair clipper set since you know exactly what you’re doing with them. If you are new to using hair clippers and are just starting out, you may want to start with a mid range model that will cost much less money than a high end model will.
- What kind of cuts will you be doing? – What kind of haircuts you will be giving will determine the type of accessories you need. In general, it is always better to get a model of hair clipper that has a lot of different attachments to choose from so you have some flexibility in terms of length.
- What are the hair clippers for? – We are referring mostly to haircuts for humans in this buyer’s guide and reviews, but many people use hair clippers to trim pet’s hair as well since it is so good for that. Pet hair is thicker than human hair so be sure to get a powerful motor in the hair clipper set you decide on if you will be cutting pet’s hair as well.
- Will you cut your own hair? – If you are the one doing all the hair cutting you may want to consider getting a lighter weight model of hair clippers since doing your own hair can really be very tiring if the clippers are heavy. In addition, look for models with swiveling heads which make cutting the back of your own hair much easier.
- Mirrors are great for self cuts – If you will be cutting you own hair you can actually set up some mirrors in such a way that you can see what you’re doing much easier than trying to “feel” your way around. Mount a swing arm mirror on the wall that sits perpendicular to the regular mirror that doesn’t move. This way you can easily see the back and sides of your head without having to hold up a mirror. It makes things much easier.
What makes a Good Hair Clipper Set?
There are several things that you should look at and compare when you start searching for that perfect hair clipper set for your family. These are things that a good set of hair clippers has and you can rely on.
- Motor Strength – If you just cut your own family’s hair, a super strong motor may not be a necessity. If you cut a lot of people’s hair on a regular basis, look for a set of hair clippers that has a strong motor that will last and be durable. Universal motors operate both AC and DC and they can pivot or be on rotary duty.
- Attachment Guide Choices – Pretty much all hair clipper sets will have attachments than range anywhere from 1/16” to 1”. These allow you to cut the hair different lengths from super short to layered. These guides make the cutting much easier.
- Blades – The blades in your hair clippers can range from .2mm to 13mm. Many hair clipper sets have high carbon steel blades that are self sharpening and stay sharp for a long, long time. Different models have different blades, so be sure that you research to know exactly what kind of blades your hair clippers have.
- Maintenance is Important – Maintaining your hair clippers means you will have them for a long time and that is always a way to save additional money. Most hair clipper sets have what you will need to maintain them included in the set. These will be things like lubricating oil, cleaning brush and the manuals so you know what to do with the maintenance tools. With the proper care and using the right tools, your hair clippers can last for years with no problems.
- Design – Ergonomic design is always a good thing whether you are just going to cut only your family’s hair or do it professionally. You want a hair clipper set to be easy to handle and hold onto, so look for comfortable designs, soft grip handles and lighter weights.
- Good Price – A low price on a set of clippers does not automatically mean it isn’t a good set. While price and budget are important, you don’t need to under or over buy, so be sure to look for the sets that have the features you’re looking for and then look at price. If it is not out of your proposed budget, you’ll be right on track and can get that set with no issues or worries.
Hair Clipper Blade Types
You should consider the blade type that you want to use. Most models come with a blade, though many are suitable for a variety of different blade types. Below is some info on the most common blade types:
- Stainless Steel – This is the most common blade type used. Sharp, easy to clean and maintain, and cheap to make and buy. In addition, they’re very durable and resistant to damage or rusting. Even many of the finest professional clippers use stainless steel blades, and they’re more than up to the task of heavy duty cutting.
- Coated – The stainless steel may also come coated in a harder wearing material such as carbon or titanium. This adds to the sharpness, though also the cost. If you cut hair all day, you may find that coated blades get the job done a little faster than stainless steel models, and it might perform better on the most extreme thick hair.
- Ceramic – Being a very poor conductor of heat, ceramic blades are perfect for all day use. They can keep up their max power all day without overheating, protecting the clipper from long-term damage. Do be careful, though, as well as being more expensive, the ceramic blades are also more fragile than the alternatives.
Types of Professional Hair Clippers
The type of motor your clipper uses determines which type of clipper it isn’t and which jobs it can, and can’t perform in. Be sure to know what type the model you’re considering is before making any decisions.
- Rotary Motor Hair Clipper – Rotary motors offer the best of both worlds, with fast speed, and strong power. This is perhaps the favored type of motor for professional clippers since it works as easily with thin hair or thick hair.
- Pivot Motor Hair Clipper – The pivot motor does cut a little more slowly in terms of rotations per minute when compared to the rotary motor, though it’s very powerful, and it’s slower speed makes it great for all day use since it doesn’t overheat as easily. The Pivot motor has no problem slicing through damp thick hair.
- Magnetic Motor Hair Clipper – The magnetic option is more suited for less frequent use. So if you use clippers mainly for tidying up edges, and this type of work then this should be ideal for you. The speed is decent, and the power is strong, though it overheats easily, and so shouldn’t be used as an all day clipper.
Keeping Your Clippers Working Like New
his tip cannot be emphasized enough. At the least, you sure make sure the blade area is clean before you begin to cut your hair or anyone else’s. The good news is that many hair clipper kits come with their own clipper brush and cleaning kit; if not, you can buy them relatively inexpensively, or even use an old-fashioned hard toothbrush to get into all the nooks and crannies (of course, that’s all you’re going to use that particular toothbrush for, right?).
Be sure to brush away all the loose hairs and debris from the blade area. They can have the same affect as grit or sand if they get lodged between the blades. Over time, they can eventually damage the blades or dull them. You will clean the hair clippers before you lubricate them and make sure you clean them before and after every use.
Oiling your hair clipper blades is very important. It keeps the blades conditioned which means they will not become dull and start being ineffectual for getting the hair cut nicely. You don’t have to over oil so be sure to follow the instructions in your owner’s manual as to how much? In terms of how often, you should figure on lubricating and cleaning every ten times of being used. We have providing an instructional video below.
Looking for the right electric shaver can be an enjoyable experience when you have the knowledge and information you need to make the right decision. Make sure you are reading the reviews, reading the buyer’s guide we have provided for you here and thinking about what you need when it comes to an electric shaver.
With all the choices on the market today you have a ton to choose from but that just means even more chances to get an excellent product that you will get a lot of use from and you will look great too!
Remember to take your preferences into consideration. If you like to shave in the shower, get a wet/dry electric shaver you can take into the shower with you. If you don’t like batteries, be sure to get an electric shaver that has a docking station you can hook up right in your bathroom for your convenience. Once you use an electric razor you won’t want to go back to disposable!